Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Kai is 3!

I can't believe that my baby is three years old. I am left wondering where the time went. Seems like just the other day I was envisoining where we would be when he turned 3...ah but that melancholy is for another day. Today it is time to share our celebration! We had a HUGE family party for him last Saturday. Jamie hasn't been feeling well this last week (again a post for another day) so he was able to be there, as well as the kids. I have been watching a lot of Ace of Cakes and Cake Boss lately (both are highly addictive and if you have anything better to do with your time I recommend you don't start watching) and it inspired me to try something new. For Kai's first B-day Grandma Kitty made him a cute tower cake that was all his own and last year I made a motorcycle racing sheetcake. So this year I was all set to do another sheetcake when Jamie convinced me we could conquer some sort of 3D version of the Tonka Truck...OK so normally I would point out my lack of culinary genius at this point but remember Ace of Cakes? Yeah, I was on board! So we set out with a vision in mind and about 8 cake mixes later we had what Miranda referred to as the leaning tower of cakes. I told her to have faith...She didn't have enough. About 80% of the way done my not so cool kitchen in the middle of July proved to be my nemesis as the back half of my cake came a tumbling down. This is what the back looked like before...I wouldn't let Jamie take a picture of the after.

I was about finished and getting ready to throw it in the garbage and head to Walmart's bakery when the kids rallied and came up with this idea.

All in all I think it turned out well...

Unfortunately, I have started something because Ethan informed me that he wants a Bakugan Cake for his party. Hello, Walmart?!

He is one spoiled little boy. He got 2 Knight sets being modeled here, 3 Tonka pods and a Transformer.

2 comments:

DAJP said...

That cake looks so good Krista! I'm impressed. I know, every year after I make Jacksons birthday cake I swear I won't do it again, but then doing another one the next year. It gets kind of addicting. Lots of cake I'm sure left over.

SFHS Class of 2000 said...

class reunion tickets are for sale through the blog, $7/each before deadline for purchase is July 10th or you can purchase at the door for $10/each. Hope you can make it. It's at the high school from 6-9 p.m. adults only. on July 31st, 2010 Thank you!