Monday, December 8, 2008

Poor Dexter

I finally had to put Dexter down. It was a sad day. I came home from work early Saturday morning and he wasn't in his house in the garage. I went out back to look for him and found that he had fallen off our porch steps and was stuck between the house and the steps. He had been having trouble with arthritis in his back legs but when I got him out from under the stairs he couldn't even stand up on his own. Nothing seemed broken or hurt because he let me carry him into the garage. I knew that it was time. I called my mom and went to bed knowing there was nothing I could do until the vet opened. My mom called and got an appointment at 2. She came over and helped me get Dex cleaned up and loaded into the car. Poor thing still couldn't stand on his own. I have never had to put a pet down before and as much as I joked about how he was supposed to be dead 3 years ago it was still emotional. I had that dog for 14 years. I got him shortly after my dad died.

The only good thing about it happening on Saturday when I had to go back to work that night was that Malakai was with his dad. When he got home on Sunday I pulled into the garage and Kai said "I need out to go pet my doggy." I had been pondering what I was going to tell him. Finally I just told him that Dexter got sick and went to be with Jesus. Malakai still looked in his dog house. Today when he asked when Dexter was coming back I reminded him that he had to go live with Jesus. I think he might have it now because he told my mom that "Dexter is going to be fine. He is with Jesus." I sure hope so Buddy, cause I kind of feel like a doggy murderer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh...I'm so sorry. That had to be hard for you! What you told Malakai was sweet.

You are not a doggie murderer. You did the compassionate thing....