Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Grand Canyon

We left Phoenix about noon on Tuesday for our drive home. We knew that we would not have a lot of time but being so close to the Grand Canyon we had to stop and see. I have been to Moab and Arches and Bryces but I had never been to the Grand Canyon. I had a vision in my mind of what I thought it would be. To say the least, that vision did not do the Canyon any justice. The views were like nothing I had ever seen. They were absolutely breath taking. Sadly, my pictures don't show the magnificence of it very well. When I looked at it I couldn't help but think that no river could have done this. No matter how many scientists try to dispel God, one look at this proves His existence. My mom and I were discussing this topic and she told me that a professor at BYU believes that the canyon was formed when Christ was crucified. I totally believe this could be the case.

Despite all the grandeur my mom was a mess. I don't think that these signs helped. Just replace the little white man with my little white boy and you can guess why she was so nervous.

So this was the highest that we let Malakai get on his own. Notice that grandma is still holding onto his leg. I love you mom and I love that you love Kai so much! I don't know what I would do without you...probably let Kai fall into the Grand Canyon.

This is a picture of a giant ugly bird that is in the visitors center. Kai was running everywhere and I needed something to keep him focused for a minute while grandma figured out where we were going so I showed him the giant bird. He really wasn't impressed. He did however, like to run on the edge of the window. Score one for mom!

We decided that the best thing for us to do after watching Kai run along the 2 foot window sill and both of us envisioning the thousand foot drop into the Canyon was to just get out of dodge and let him swim at the hotel. But, then we saw that the last stop before you leave the park was this old tower so we thought ok let's give it a shot.

This was the view. Unbelievable! The river winding along the bottom of the canyon thousands of feet below, the sun setting the red rocks on fire, the stir crazy two year old who couldn't believe that we wouldn't put him down!


My salvation came in the form of telescopes! The boy loves them. You can't see a darn thing out of them but that didn't stop him. He was telling us all about the things he was seeing, the river, people and as you can see in the movie clip the sun.




On the way to the tower and back to the car he had fun walking on these big rocks. My kid is definately a climber.

I saw this sign and just knew that it had to go on my blog. We had a wonderful time. Maybe in a few years we will venture back this time with some sort of tether for him.


We left the park around 7:30pm Arizona time and thought we better call the hotel which was just north of Kanab and let them know that we would be late checking in. Brittney answered the phone and informed us that we were facing a 5 hour drive! So, just for your information from the Grand Canyon to Kanab it is about 2 hours...and don't listen to ditsy girls named Brittney from Carmel Junction. Oh I also got to see Lake Powell...well kind of. It was about 10:30 at night. I have to say that giant black abyss really did not live up to all the hype! I am thinking about going back next summer, this time during the day. Any takers?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did I ever tell you that my dad fell down the Grand Canyon when he was a kid.....he really did. Somehow he climbed his way back out....but he wasn't 2 yrs old either.

I agree that the canyon is spectacular....and pictures do not do it justice. I want to hike it again someday....