Monday, October 13, 2008

Oooh Sugar, sugar!

So for a long time I have known that my child loves the pure white stuff, the addictive drug that is sugar. He wakes up in the morning and asks for a "teat mommy?" During the summer he considered a a popsicle in each hand a balanced breakfast. Potty training went relatively well as long as the treat jar was filled with Hershey's mini candy bars. Yes, my child inherited my weakness, a sweet tooth. Well, it has finally gotten out of hand. My mom keeps her sugar and flour for baking in large drawers in her kitchen. They are lined with tin bins that have sliding lids so the product is just dumped inside. Kai Kai has known for a long time that touching these drawers result in "Oh Bummer." This is mainly because he enjoys making a mess with the flour. Well tonight I was at my mom's house when Kai came over and opened the sugar drawer. I told him No and closed the drawer. He opened it again...ok "Oh Bummer, this is so sad. Looks like Kai needs a little alone time." Well, the sneaky little bugger out manuvered me as I went to grab him, he ducked around me and stuck his hand in the drawer coming up with sugar dusted fingers which he promptly thrust into his mouth..."Mmmm Nummy! It's good!" My mom and I just laughed. So much for the Oh bummer. I agreed, sugar is good but it is bad for your teeth. I washed his hands and face and sent him back to the couch to watch Scooby while my mom and I finished dinner. A few minutes later Kai walked back into the kitchen. I heard the drawer open. "Oh bummer, who is getting into the sugar?" Bummer should have been the trigger word, I am sure in the parenting book the model child would have closed the drawer and walked sheepishly out of the kitchen. My child? He answered "Kai Kai!" and emerged with a small handful of sugar which went immediately into his mouth. Hmm, I think we have a hardcore habit developing.

2 comments:

Chad and Becky said...

LOL! Good luck, you really have your work cut out for you! Good thing he is adorable!

Anonymous said...

LOL -- this is comparable to Harrison constantly wanting to make Koolaid so he can dip his hands in and lick it off!! Sugar.....more addicting than (well, a whole lot of other stuff).

At least he knows how to entertain!!