Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Family That Plays Together...

On Saturday I had the chance to hang out with some of the most wonderful people I know, my family! I have been blessed with a really great extended family and we are all really close. Some of us though, are closer than others. My mom and her brother married a brother and sister so I have double cousins. Makes it really nice at family reunions. Well, I got up early on Saturday morning, loaded Kai still in his pj's (it was that early) into the van, picked up my mom and brother Chris and headed up to the salt flats for an exciting day of motorcycling and 4 wheeling. We all met in Tremonton and carpooled up to Kelton. It started out a little rainy but soon the clouds cleared and we enjoyed a beautiful early fall day.
Kai totally loved the 4 wheeler. He sat in front of me and held on to the gas tank for the first half of the ride. After that he decided that he had had enough of a lesson and was ready to take control. He not so subtly pushed my hand off the throttle and said "do it myself!" He then would give it all he could and we would be off like a bullet! Only scared the daylights out of me when we were approaching jumps. I was a pansy and didn't try my hand on a motorbike. The last time I think I was on one was when I was 14...we had a very abrupt ending to our relationship. I ran into a church house on my grandpa's bike. That is how I got the scar on my chin. I still hold my cousin responsible! Just kidding, Amy!
Any ways, there was a little 70 there, that was probably about my speed but I stayed with the 4 wheeler. Must be my old age kicking in...something nice about 4 wheels on the ground.

It was nice having Chris as my riding partner. With his bad back we were both pansies! So nice not to be left in the dust all alone.
While Chris and I were out being oh so very adventurous Malakai got to know the new "sister" in the family Saddie. My Grandparents have had two mini dachshunds, Sabrina and Savannah for a very long time. Not too long ago though, Savannah died. It was very hard on my grandma because they are her babies. We have often laughed and referred to them as the "other siblings." So, grandpa went out and got another puppy. She is awfully cute but Malakai quickly lost interest. After all, we did bring his digger!
And of course, there was also the food to distract him. He was totally into this giant chocolate muffin.
The rest of us chowed down on deli sandwhiches, veggies and fresh fruit. Who knew a trailor could also double as kitchen and dinning room?!
By the end of the day Kai was just about ready to drop but we figured he better get one last ride in. This is exactly how he came back from the ride!

Apparently, this is how Brenda puts kids to bed! I guess it must run in the family because my grandpa used to put my aunt Angalee to sleep by taking her on motorcycle rides.

We had a great time! I can't wait until the spring ride.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah for family....support makes all the difference!